The sun is out! …and so begins the 2-4 weeks a year when I sew something other than neutrals/textured neutrals for myself.
When using brighter prints I tend to go for even simpler patterns and Japanese sewing books are often a good source of those. For this top I used cotton batiste from Leah Duncan’s Floret collection from Maud’s Fabric Finds and paired it with a simple swing top pattern from Wear Big Clothes, Wear Small Clothes (rough translation).
Luckily a simple pattern often makes for a simple (and quick) sew. I’ve used this pattern before – in a heavier, neutral! fabric but the batiste makes for a lovely lightweight summer wear.
The Watson set
Having made no less than 5 version’s of Cloth Habit’s Harriet bra, I thought I’d try out the designer’s other pattern the Watson Bra & Bikini set which is wireless.Sticking with summer florals I used some Art Gallery, Flower Glory Evening cotton spandex jersey, again from Maud’s Fabric Finds. I fully lined the long-lined version of the bra with power mesh to ensure it was supportive, and used a mixture of yellow and white elastics to finish.Irritatingly the measuring system for the two patterns are different so I made the size suggested by the pattern measurements – a 34C. Unsurprisingly, for a first attempt at a new bra pattern the fit needs some adjustment, although as it’s a stretchy design it’s perfectly wearable. For my next version I will size down in the band by one or two sizes and up in the cups. A later adjustment might require moving the vertical seams closer to the centre too.
Last and loudest of all is a dress made with some silk crepe de chine bought for £2 a metre in the Clothhouse Warehouse store sale.There were 3 metres left on the roll which as the fabric was only 110 wide was the perfect amount for a Kielo Wrap dress from Named Clothing, but not enough to even consider trying to pattern match the back centre seam.Again the design and construction of the dress is actually very simple so I finished it in an evening. I fell between a size 10 and 12 but made the 12 as the pattern is drafted for fabric with some stretch and my silk had none. The fit turned out to be just right with no adjustments but I did change the length from maxi to midi as I’m not sure I’ve ever found occasion for a floor length dress. I really like the shape of this dress, and how easy it was to make, so there will definitely be more, but they may well be more neutral!
*Fabric for this post was kindly gifted by Maud’s Fabric Finds