The kite fold tee is a soon-to-be-released pattern from Madeit Patterns. The design is fun, practical and unisex – all things I like so I jumped at the chance of testing it and made this version in a size 2 for S.
The pattern itself is straightforward enough, but I never find anything about working with knits particularly straightforward. Especially not when working with more than one different kind at once. I was pleasantly surprised, then, that I didn’t come across many problems making the t-shirt up, even the neckline worked out well and big enough for S’s large head. The only problem came when, in a bid to test the pattern properly and follow it to the letter, I got out my long abandoned twin needle to hem the bottom edge and sleeves. As my machine chomped it’s way through my nice new t-shirt the reason I abandoned the twin needle last time became clear (I’ve read just about every tutorial I can find but don’t seem to be able to make it work) and I unpicked, tried to undo the damage done by the chomping and hemmed with my standard slight zigzag stitch method.
In the end there was one slight nick in the fabric that needed repairing but it is now almost unnoticeable, and I am really happy with the combination of colours. I’m confident I’ll end up making a few more versions as it is a great pattern for using up odds and ends (or recycled pieces – the fluoro pink in this version is from an old t-shirt), but in the meantime I liked S’s t-shirt so much I was inspired to make my own version with some of the leftovers. I used the hemlock tee pattern as a starting point, omitting the sleeves and adding a colour block stripe down the back of the shirt.