A cosy little shirt for S in a soft floral brushed cotton fabric. The fabric was part of my first order from Miss Matatabi. As a rule I try not to spend too much on fabric – so Japanese imports aren’t my usual choice but I really wanted to try sewing with some double gauze fabrics and as far as I know they’re not readily available here. This pretty brushed cotton was on sale and is a perfect choice for the colder months, as although not heavy, its double gauze construction makes it bulkier with lots of room to trap air. This bulkiness does mean that the collar and front plackets of the shirt are quite thick and I had to abandon my plan of making bias binding for the sleeve openings. I improvised with a bit of lemon yellow bias binding that was at the bottom of my cupboard. The fabric is also quite fluid (not sure if that’s the right word) which meant the bottom hem became a little stretched/misshapen, but I’m fairly confident that effect will disappear once I put it through the wash.
The pattern is self-drafted and a little on the large side to allow for growing room. I’ve got a skirt/shorts and braces set planned to go with this shirt but it may be a few weeks before I get time to start on those.